Student Advice - Students - College of Science - University of Canterbury

Student Advice

The College of Science Student Advisor, Anna Chapman, is available to give advice on course options and degree programmes. Her office is room 110, located at Okeover House.

Anna is the contact person for Maori and Pasifika students, International students and students with disabilities enrolled in the College of Science.

Students who are enrolling at 100-level for the first time should seek advice from our Liaison Office, Phone 0800 VARSITY (827 748), Email

To make an appointment to see the Student Advisor:

Undergraduate Students: contact Anna Chapman at

Postgraduate Students: contact Tracey Robinson at

Office Hours

Monday to Friday
9.00 am - 12.30pm
1.30 pm - 4.00 pm

Please note that staff may not always be in their offices at the above times due to irregular meetings and events.

What can the Student Advisor help you with?

  • Degree planning, including double degrees and double majors
  • Explaining your course options
  • Understanding the University Calendar and degree regulations
  • Advice on eligibility to graduate
  • Transfer of credits from other tertiary institutions
  • Permissions to take courses at other New Zealand universities for credit to a UC degree
  • Cross-crediting between several undergraduate degrees
  • Transferring between degrees
  • Exemptions, such as waivers of pre-requisites or core-requirements
  • Withdrawal from courses
  • Masters thesis suspensions
  • Masters thesis extensions
  • Part-time enrolment at postgraduate level
  • Academic appeals

Where else can you find assistance?

Maori Students website

Te Whare Wananga o Waitaha offers a welcoming environment for Maori students and provides support and encouragement for Maori to achieve academic excellence.

Pacific Students website

The University of Canterbury provides a welcoming and supportive environment for students of Pacific heritage. Academic and cultural support services have been designed to ensure that you get the most out of both your studies and your free time.

PhD Enquiries and Applications

If you are interested in beginning a PhD thesis, it is also important that you talk to the relevant Department/School about your proposed research.

Student Support

Student Support provide a range of services, support and useful information for students, both domestic and international students.

Disability Resource Service

For advice on support for students with a disability, please see the Disability Resource Service.

UC Careers & Employment

Uc Careers and Employment provides advice and resources for job seeking, (including CV development) and information about prospective jobs and employers.

Departments and Schools

Departments and Schools can help you with questions regarding their courses and course selection.

Academic Skills Centre

The Academic Skills Centre is a free advisory service and resource hub that focuses on writing and study strategies to maximise student acheivement at all levels—from first-year through to PhD.