Prospective Students - Students - College of Science - University of Canterbury
Undergraduate lectures

Prospective Students

The College of Science offers a large range of qualifications in science and communication disorders at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.

Why Study Science at UC?

Science and technology are progressive areas with exciting prospects for employment. Our extensive science facilities are equipped and staffed to world class standards. We have four principal field stations - Cass, Hari Hari, Kaikoura and Westport. All these facilities are unique in New Zealand and a core part of many science courses. We also have access to international research field facilities such as those on the sub-Antarctic Snares Islands and to 24-hour computer labs and specialist library facilities. With science and technology being an integral part of New Zealand's future economic prospects, a science degree at UC is an investment in your future, leading on to many exciting careers and postgraduate opportunities.

University of Canterbury scientists are:

  • Operating the largest telescope in the Southern Hemisphere
  • Developing new ways to combat superbugs
  • Developing new non-invasive medical techniques
  • Carrying out specialist marine biology work

Science Undergraduate Qualifications

If you want to study sciences you may enrol in the Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree or the Bachelor of Speech and Language Pathology (Hons). Some departments recommend having studied certain subjects at school. You can check that information here: "Best Preparation for a BSc/BSLP(Hons)" (pdf 57KB)

If you are unsure whether you want to commit to a 3-year or 4-year degree you can enrol in a Certificate of Science.

If you haven't already studied sciences at Years 12 and 13 you might find it helpful to enrol in the Science Headstart (Summer Preparatory Programme).

Science 2017
Introduction to Science 2017 guide (1.49MB pdf)

Postgraduate Science Qualifications

The College of Science offers postgraduate diplomas, honours, master's and PhD degrees, as well as a graduate diploma and certificate.

Other links